Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Myrtle and Mulch

 Timing is everything.  Monday afternoon I set out to transplant all of the myrtle I had set aside in the shade from the recent wilderness reclamation.  As I finished and was watering it in it began to rain.  It rained all the next day.  Today was warm and sunny and tomorrow it will be overcast as the hurricane remnants arrive.  This weekend will be rainy and next week will be warm and sunny but not scorching hot.  Perfect summer weather for transplanting something.


Today we put on a final layer of mulch and placed some "yard art" in there.
As a reminder, below is what it looked like before.


That big round thing to the left of the plow is my PaPaw's hog boiler.  I have wanted to use it as either a water feature or a planter but have never found the right spot for it.  To use it as a planter I would have to drill drainage holes in it.  I have been hesitant to do that because who knows when you will need a hog boiler...
Next spring I will plant some blue perennial geraniums in front of it.


I still have to divide that one big grass into six sections and plant along the back but the root ball is awful hard and I will at least have to use a knife to cut it and maybe a Sawzall.  I know this because last fall I managed to whittle five sections off the edge and it was quite a chore.  Cutting through the center with a transplant spade will be nearly impossible.





No comments:

Post a Comment