This time last year I pruned my Little Lime Punch Hydrangea bush and dried the flowers. I'm doing the same thing this year. It had quite a bit of light weight branching on the south side near the ground and I want that gone, so I just pruned early. I will remove the large blooms for winter so they don't break down the bush in the snow and wind, but I won't take long stems with them because I want to leave the height and structure.
But I am drying them the same. You just put a little water in the bottom of a vase so they don't wilt right off the plant and then they dry naturally as it runs out. I just leave them on the deck out of the wind and they provide a nice bright pop of color. Actually, they are a really nice outdoor bouquet because I don't have to keep an eye on the water and they don't shed petals like Dahlias do.
The blooms from last year still look great. I just walked in and snapped this picture.
I can see a little browning but they have only dropped three or four petals. They have held up really well and maintained their color.




beautiful! My sister is growing some beautiful ones as well.
ReplyDelete