Saturday, July 20, 2013

Relaxing



It all started last Saturday.  It was late in the afternoon and I had completely finished my garden "to do" list (a rare event).  We sat down in the cool of the evening to enjoy our new chaise lounges on our new patio.  I had just started on my second Margarita when Tim said:  "Even though I cut that corner out, I still can't get in there with the mower.  I'm out of plastic edging, that was the last piece I had left.  How about if we put a walkway in here from the yard, put in an 8' x 8' planting bed so you can rotate your potatoes, and then we'll cut an edge from here, around the apple tree, and back to the barrel..."


After a very brief consideration, we were back on our feet, counting bricks and making broad sweeping motions with our arms defining the new curve.  Tim spent the hottest week of the year on his new creation.


Monday
I just love this brick walkway.  It slants up instead of having a step on at the end.
Tuesday
Wednesday
Pretty isn't it?
Thursday
Friday
 We spent Friday tilling the soil, mixing in compost and laying down mulch.


And now we have a much more mower friendly curve around the apple tree.  So, what is going in there next to the apple tree??  Ideas danced though my head....  20 feet of grape arbor?  The tree will soon be mature and block out the sun...  A cutting garden full of zinnias?  80 square feet of tomatoes, eggplants and peppers?  Move the strawberries and expand the asparagus bed?

It has to be something simple.  We have more than enough garden to take care of already.  Really, an empty bed full of mulch sometimes sounds like the perfect solution.  In the end I decided on a grouping of large rocks and some herbs.  I have herbs tucked into the perennial bed out front, and I've been trying to think of a spot in the "vegetable area" that would be suitable.  Many times the sage, rosemary and thyme actually winter over so I want them in an undisturbed spot.  A warm outcropping of rocks will be just the thing for them.  To add texture and interest I will also put in my two easiest perennials, day lilies and Siberian irises to add some height and color.  Stay tuned for the finished version.

No comments:

Post a Comment