Wednesday, April 17, 2024

It's Go Time!

 Let's get this (garden) party started!  So much to do.  Planting and pruning and mulching and mowing.  We had three beautiful days and we made the most of it.  Now we are entering a cooler, rainy period and we will be resting and recuperating for the next push.


I seeded my garden peas and lettuce on Monday the 15th.  I have discussed my pea planting theories at length in the past.  This will be the second year that I have covered them with burlap.  That is more for the benefit of the lettuce than the peas.  In two weeks when the peas are up, I will remove the burlap because the lettuce won't need protection from scavenging birds anymore.


Under grow lights I have some awesome sweet potato slips, hot peppers, dwarf tomatoes and micro tomatoes.  I figured I could start those tomatoes early and not worry about them getting too big.  I seeded my indeterminate tomatoes on Monday.


The cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage is almost ready to set out.  I booted this tray out to the cold frame today to harden off.  I already have some things out in the cold frame.


Due to the lengthy tree project, we are getting a bit of a late start on our edging and mulching.  We usually start mid-March and one year we had it all done by the end of March.  


We always start on the side with the neighbors and work our way back towards the house.  That way the new, fluffy load of mulch is in the beds that we walk by every day.  This old mulch leftover from last year is fine, but is harder to work with.


We had to put plywood down so the tractor wouldn't rut the lawn, but it was dryer than usual.


It was already nice sitting in the partial shade of the trees.


We started cutting a fresh edge on the rock mulched fence line.  This only has to be done every two or three years whereas the shredded bark mulch has to be edged and refreshed at least once a year.


My tulips are beginning to bloom.


This is the time of year when I walk around and look for bare spots that need spring color.  Below there is a large blank spot where the lilac bush was.  If I have to move or divide any daffodils, they can go here.  I almost always have some daffodil bulbs looking for a new spot.


Due to the mild winter, my arborescens hydrangea that only blooms on old wood, is putting out new leaves on last year's canes.  This means it will be one of those rare years when I have a lot of hydrangea blooms.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and so very tidy. Love the look of all those little transplants coming along. Are the bottoms of your raised beds on native soil?
    We are also getting some good rain today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bottom of the raised beds is on native soil. We added a mixture of screened topsoil and compost to fill them up.

      Delete