Friday, April 19, 2024

Mending

 As I have been going through the perennial beds pulling weeds and checking on things, I noticed that despite the mild winter, I lost one of four little Geum plants in the front flower bed.  That would leave a big, threadbare hole right in a prominent place.


These are one of my favorite plants but I really do not want to spend $20 to mail order a replacement.
 
Yep, very dead.

 Last year I was thinking that they were almost getting big enough to divide and spread around.  I don't want to divide the two nice ones in the middle.  


But this one off to the one end by the rock...


If I set this one back it won't make me feel as bad as I would if I lost another one in the middle.  This job of extraction is one for the Hori Hori knife.  I don't want to just go in there with a spade and dig a big hole, disturbing the spring bulbs around it.


It was still tough cutting, but I scooped out half and transplanted it.  I watered it in well, and we are having cool, damp days so it ought to recover without too much trouble.  It is actively growing now so it ought to put out some new roots pretty quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Any idea what caused it's demise? Just curious, what is your hardiness zone?
    I love doing the rounds, garden and bush, and checking on things, especially this time of year...every little green sprig or sprout is a celebration! The lady slipper orchids are putting up pale green nubs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what happened. The whole clump was dead and been dead for awhile as i crumbled in my hands. We are hardiness zone 6a now, but have been 5b.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the zones are changing. We were 3ish, but are now 4b. I have stuff overwintering here that shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete