Saturday, July 3, 2021

After the Rain

 It is nice to have a few rainy days to stay indoors and catch up on other things.  Its good for a gardener's sanity.  But if you are used to puttering around in and out four to six hours a day, and you are forced indoors for three days in a row, you start to feel twelve to eighteen hours behind.  Its not really true.  You can get caught up in a few hours.  But it feels true.

Chore #1:  Deadhead the Geraniums.  They look pretty pitiful.


I don't remove all of the ruined ones.  Some have a lot
of new buds and in a few days they will look pretty nice.
I'll just come back through and pull the dried blooms out of the top

Chore #2: Deadhead the Petunias.  Also pitiful.


Even the daylilies are looking pretty rough.  I picked all of the soggy, spent blooms.
Slugs love those snotty things and I hate slugs.


There was a little blossom end rot on the Carbon and Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye.  
That's not surprising when we went from two weeks of hot, dry weather followed by a forty degree temperature drop and two inches of rain.


All of the squash blossoms were crowded with cucumber beetles.

These pruners fit in there just right and I diced them. 
That way I get the beetles without damaging the flowers

The Cue Ball squash is producing like mad.

The Lima beans have formed a nice tidy tee pee.

And they are still growing up.
At least I finally see some buds.

The Sweet Corn is neck high by the 4th of July.

Once the garden was all tidied up I took a walk around to appreciate all of the daylilies.










No comments:

Post a Comment