Thursday, July 1, 2021

Rainy Day Garden Check

I was awake and beginning my morning rounds of the internet when I heard rumbling.
I knew it was supposed to be a rainy day so I pulled up AccuWeather to check and...

Yes, I'd say we have a storm coming.
(we are on the SE edge of Jamestown)

The front line began to organize and the warnings hit.
The temperature is already dropping.  
Time to run out before the wind starts.

These Geranium blooms survived yesterday's half inch.
That's the thing about Geraniums.  And traditional Petunias.
They look gorgeous in dry weather but
you always have to deadhead after a rainstorm.

The Herb Garden will look better after the rain

And this Fire Pit will benefit the most.
I like how the Celosia resemble flames.
And today the Zinnia in the center is sending out an orange spark.

Its sad to know that some things are already in decline.
This Clematis vine will need to be cut to the ground.
But she'll be back...

I'm trying to time a few things now because I have a
garden tour scheduled August 1st.
For one thing I want the Buckwheat cover crop I am
replacing the peas with to be at its prime, not over grown.

The garden will not look better any time this year than it does now


Some things are just beginning

These pickling cucumbers will replace one bed of peas.
Under the wire baskets are cabbages that will probably replace 
the grow bag potatoes.  Or peas.  Depending on the timing.
Here's a quick tip:  Top seed cells with Vermiculite to hold moisture.
I also had these shaded under a square of burlap for the
two days it took them to germinate.

I don't know why this Chard plant flops every time it rains.

This one in the next bed is a beast.
Nothing phases it.

The row of potatoes furthest left is the one I am dying to dig.

I've had my eye on this Broccoli.  I cut another one
at a smaller size a few days ago because I was afraid it
would bolt in that heat.

This one is starting to get a little lumply bumply

The garden fridge is my over-flow storage.
One big head of butter lettuce and two Broccoli

Time to head inside and get some breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning! I found you via Tomato Thymes and cannot say how impressed I am with your blog and gardens! Ironically, my husband is from Jamestown and I grew up on Chautauqua Lake. We live on a farm in Brockport, NY and also grow a lot of veggies. Would love to be part of that garden tour if we lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Lori! Its always nice to meet a local. I see you have horses too. I don't have horses anymore, but I've had many over the years.

      Delete