Friday, July 16, 2021

Just Some Pollen and Stuff

We have had 6.2" of rain in July.  There has been measurable rain 12 of the last 16 days.
It is raining now.  I'm tired of rain.
When its not actively raining its usually gloomy anyway.


But yesterday morning we had a few hours of sunshine.  I spent some time watching the honey bees working on the corn pollen.  From the right angle you could see the plumes of pollen caused by the vibration of the bee's wings.
 
Another insect I am seeing a lot of this year is lady bugs.  They're everywhere.


There are four lady bugs in this photo.


The buckwheat I planted on the 10th came in well.


The last peas are looking pretty sorry, but they are loaded with harvestable seeds.
The pods and vines are almost dry enough to cut.  But not quite.


I've given up trying to keep these potato vines in the end tidy.


Based on past experience, I could reasonably expect to have fist sized cantaloupe at this point.  None have set yet, but the vines are doing quite well.


The Lima Beans are finally beginning to flower.  One vine is over ten feet long!


I usually grow Pacific Beauty Calendula which are yellow and orange.  This year I planted Strawberry Blonde and I like the color a lot more.  It is also a more compact variety.


For the most part the garden is doing fine.  I am harvesting cauliflower and summer squash.  I plan on picking bush beans when it stops raining.  I did have to remove on cucumber vine due to bacterial wilt.  It was the furthest ahead and flowering, but I just couldn't get the wilt stopped and I didn't want it to spread.  I've removed more tomatoes with blossom end rot, but it is not a large percentage and I do have some good tomatoes coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment