Monday, July 15, 2024

Mid-July Vegetable Garden

 Here is a status report on how all of the vegetable beds are doing:

Peas and Lettuce
I have removed most of the dried pods for seed next year and these need to come out.

Cucumbers and Celery doing awesome

I have started picking slicing cucumbers

The second seeding on the end is flowering and setting fruit

Pole Beans
The paler green are the yellow wax beans Monte Gusto

Seychelles are almost ready to pick

Direct sown Durango Marigolds are beginning to flower

Dwarf Tomatoes

These should be the first to ripen
Patiently waiting....

Broccoli putting out a few side shoots

Still have three Cauliflower to pick, and some Early Jersey Cabbage

Indeterminate Tomatoes and Bell Peppers

Black Beauty getting some dark color

Pike County Yellow

Bloody Mary Nasturtiums

Sun Sugar Cherry Tomato

Herbs and Sweet Potatoes

Dara
(like Queen Anne's Lace or Wild Carrot)

DIill, Sweet Potatoes and Carrots

The Volunteer Bed
One Cucumber vine is a Pickler and the other is a Slicer
I have picked two from each.

There are at least five Cantaloupe set

Havasu Hot Peppers

Clarimore Summer Squash and Volunteer Snapdragons
The first few squash were not pollinated but I have now picked five or six

Dinner Plate Dahlias ready to bloom

Single and Collarette Dahlias

Lazy Lounging Rabbit
"Little Bunny Foo Foo"

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks so lush and healthy! I've been completely overwhelmed with cucumbers this year. I picked 26 slicing cucumbers Friday night. Fortunately some folks in my community took some. How is the Florida Weave going with the tomatoes? At least I think that's what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Florida weave works very well. Next year I would buy taller T-posts and put an additional T-post in the center instead of garden stakes. The posts we had are 6 foot and I thing 8 footers would work better.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it's working well for you. I'm trying a hybrid this year with my tomatoes--I've weaved a t post into a tomato cage and pounded it into the ground to keep the cage from falling over when the plant gets too big. So far so good.

      Delete
  2. Where is that rabbit in relation to your gardens???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About eight feet from the Dahlias. They don't care much about the garden. They have all of the clover they can eat. Some things have to be protected spring and fall, but there isn't much that interests them in the summer.

      Delete