Saturday, July 6, 2024

Out Walking Around

 We are at that stage of the gardening year when pretty much everything is pruned, planted, rearranged, fertilized and fussed with.  Now I just keep an eye on things and begin to harvest.  I have a route every morning that covers all of the areas and I look for problems or weeds and assess the conditions of the plants.  One of my favorite views is up the Dry Creek Bed that drains the west lawn and driveway.


At the far end of that is a view of the thicket between our property and the next door neighbors.
The thicket where we removed all of the trees

I have avoided walking through there for the last month or so because the poison ivy is so bad.  But today I booted up and went in to check on the bare root shrubs that I set loose in there.  They are pretty well camouflaged by the ferns and golden rod and other "weeds' but all but one Chokeberry appears to have made it.  I won't pull that one either in case it puts out new growth from the roots.

Aronia or Chokeberry

Spice Bush

another Spice Bush

Lilac

Poison Ivy

Milkweed
Besides the things I planted on purpose, on the far end some things I have discarded over the years are trying to establish themselves.

Snow on the Mountain (& Poison Ivy)

discarded Daylily

The Riverbed plantings are thriving
This has been a great year for the grasses because they have gotten plenty of water and plenty of sun.

This is the giant Black Eyed Susan that I divided this spring.
It IS smaller than this time last year.  Plus the deer trimmed it awhile back.

And this is the division

One more look at Sweet Sugar Candy Daylily

The Vegetable Garden

The Pole Beans are climbing and flowering.  The direct sown Marigolds have buds on them

Feverfew in the herb bed is beginning to flower

I hope some honey bees have cross pollinated this zucchini from the neighbor's garden because I have no male flowers yet and these squash may go to waste.

Who says you have to limit yourself to one support per tomato plant?
Sun Sugar Cherry Tomato

The Dahlias are full of buds and the singles and border heigh plants are just beginning to bloom

2 comments:

  1. That morning walk around is the best part of the day! Everything looks beautiful. Is what you are calling 'snow on the mountain' the same as gout weed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes: Gout Weed - Bishop's Weed - Ground Elder. Depends on how much you like it. I love the stuff because it always stays where I put it. On the other hand, I hate Ajuga because it is impossible to contain. So ~ very experience specific.

      Delete